Robotics is the branch of technology that deals with the design, construction, operation, structural disposition, manufacture and application of robots and computer systems for their control, sensory feedback, and information processing.The concept and creation of machines that could operate autonomously dates back to classical times, but research into the functionality and potential uses of robots did not grow substantially until the 20th century. Today, robotics is a rapidly growing field, as we continue to research, design, and build new robots that serve various practical purposes, whether domestically, commercially, or militarily. Many robots do jobs that are hazardous to people such as defusing bombs, exploring shipwrecks, and mines. Robotics requires the application of computer integrated manufacturing, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, biological mechanics, software engineering and the like.
Followings are the branches of Robotics engineering in which one can specialize:-
Computer Aided Manufacturing.
Robot Motion Planning.
Digital Electronics and Micro-processors.
Students who interested in robotics need to have a Btech graduation specialized in mechanical/electrical/computer/electronics engineering. They are eligible for pursuing MTech in Robotics. In India the premier institute in Robotics is The Center for Robotics and Mechatronics at IIT (Indian Institute of Technology), Kanpur which offers a Master’s Degree Course in Robotics. Admission is through valid GATE score. The Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering & Computer Science Departments of the IIT’s offer courses in Computer Science with specialization in Artificial Intelligence, which is an integral part of Robotics.
Institutes in India offering courses in Robotics:
- Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh.
- National Institute of Technology, the University of Hyderabad- M.Tech in Artificial Intelligence and Robotics.
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata.
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani.
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning, Prasanthinilayam, Tamil Nadu- M.Tech
- PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore (Tamil Nadu) Mechanical (Robotics as an elective subject)
- Innobuzz Knowledge Solutions, Pitampura, New Delhi. Mail-id: email@example.com Website: http://innobuzz.in/robotics.html Phone No.:98181-98188
The Career Opportunities in Robotics lays different fields like
- Robots in Commerce – Retail, Services Fields,
- Robots in the home – Maids, Washing Car, Doing Chores, Mowing the Lawn,
- Robots in Security – Guards, Guard Dogs, Bomb Snuffers, Bomb Squads,
- Robots to the Rescue – FEMA, Earthquake, Hurricanes, Wild Fires
- Robots for the Weather and Environment – Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
- Robots in Transportation – Light Rail, Cars, Aircraft
- Robots in Distribution – Trains, Warehouses
- Robotic Androids – Assistants, Mentors, Educators
- Robots and Artificial Intelligence – Thinking Machines and Systems
- Robots in the Military – Smart Munitions, Net-Centric Systems, UAVs
A Robotic Engineer does,
- Designing of robots.
- Follow a line of investigation work on robotics applications in a range of fields.
- Support engineers in the design and application of robot systems
- Examine electronic mechanism involved in creation of robot
- Experiment robots for defects after manufacturer’s assembly
- Install robots or robot systems where required
- Install robot safety systems
- Offer support to users, including fine robots
- Program robot for sequence of moves physically or by electronic commands to a microprocessor or by
- Setting up kinetic suits
- Alter computer-controlled movement of robots
- Trouble shoots to determine robot malfunctions, using knowledge of microprocessors, programmable
- Controllers, electronics, circuit analysis, mechanics, hydraulics, and pneumatics
- Disassemble robots and/or peripheral equipment like circuit boards, sensors, controllers, encoders,
- Servomotors, servo valves, or automatic lubrication systems
- Train subordinates
- maintain records of test procedures and results, service schedules, repairs, etc
However,it is also true that due to lack of awareness among the students about this course and lack of advanced technology in India future of robotics is some what dull,but soon it is going to be boom the market.